Sunday, February 26, 2006

Like, I TOTALLY can't decide!


I recently created this character for a woman who comissioned me to work on her "tween" t-shirt fashion line. I did the one on the left first, by hand, with ink, and colored it digitally. When I found out she needed the tshirt designs as "vector" art, I opened up Adobe Illustrator and created the one on the right.

Now, this is a reason why I feel schizophrenic: I like both! I can't decide which way I should work in the future. Obviously, I'm using the one on the right for the t-shirt, but what about the rest of my illustration work? Perhaps I should work in both styles, depending on what the project is. Or should I focus on building a portfolio around one or the other?

Help! I could really use some imput. I like how clean and polished the fashionista on the right looks, but I also think my hand drawn version holds something special within it that the computer just can't recreate. What do you think?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love them both...but am partial to the one on the left. I'm no artist or anything like it, but I would think that the more programs you know how to work with and can create art in would make you more marketable. Your business cards can say "Justin...the know it all, do it all illustrator extraordinaire"

James Palmer said...

I have to say that I really dig the one on the left. I love big bold lines--somehow has more going on...

As for the printability issues, either illo should convert to vector art beautifully. Illustrator CS2 has a live trace function that will convert blackline illustrations to spot color swatches for you lickety split.

I really like your work man!

Jan Halvarson said...

yes both are great! just to confuse things, i like the one on the right because it's more unexpected - if that makes any sense.

tough one though - i can see your dilema.

i do really like your work too! must be so exciting to have that talent!

Ward Jenkins said...

"Like, WHATEVER! -- just choose, Justin!"

Seriously, I love both. I think it's good to promote yourself that you can do both styles -- and it helps that you can do both very very WELL, too! Each look here has it's own uniqueness and you pretty much nail the concept. Sorry I can't decide here, but really you are go good at what you do, you needn't worry about trying to commit to one particular style. You'd be only limiting yourself if you did.

genesse said...

Ditto on the live trace function in Illustrator. I don't have CS2 yet, but even CS has the "auto trace" tool which you could use to turn your ink line into vector art. It's fabulous!

:)

MareAmaro said...

i have one portfolio with the vectorial stuff, and another with the more "painterly" images. it depends on the client i have to meet, which to show. i know it's kinda schizophrenic, but in this way you can make more money;)

JustMe said...

THANK YOU guys so much for the Illustrator advice. I have CS 11 right now, not CS2, but will upgrade! It helps so much to hear encouragement to keep working in both styles. I think I'll just have to create two portfolios! That's good, sound advice. That way, there are no limitations. Thanks again.

andrea said...

I can't decide, either! how's that for helping? like jan, I think there's something unexpected about the one on the left. but the one on the right has such a great line quality...

as for your future, who says you can't work both (stylistically speaking). if anyone can pull it off, it's you.