Friday, April 14, 2006

Ward


Today, I want to feature the amazing art of my good friend, Ward Jenkins, of The Ward-O-Matic. I recently came across this photo of the graffiti-art piece he did for me in my old loft apartment back in 2001! I'm so glad I have it documented, since It was impossible to take the work with me! When I left the Fulton Cotton Mill Lofts, my roommate and friend, Brandon, stayed behind in the apartment for another year, ensuring the survival of the two dancers, keeping the piece safe from the Loft management, who surely would have it painted over. Unfortunately, now Brandon doesn't live there, either. He moved out and into another apartment last year, and I have no idea what happened to this beloved graffiti. I like to imagine that the management decided not to paint over it, deciding that the piece is pure GENIUS, and realizing that it ADDS to the value of the apartment! That's what I choose to believe...I can't bring myself to think about the alternative.

Who wouldn't want these two gettin' down in their living room?

I love everything about this graffiti. The colors, the composition, the lines, the outlines, and of course the visual VIBRATION that creates the illusion of movement. Ward knew exactly what to do to brighten up this room. The entire image was his idea, and I love how he utilized the corner of the room, and drew the characters on two different planes, dancing in space. I miss this mural terribly. It's a shame I couldn't peel it off the wall somehow, and roll it up to take with me.

Now I live far away in New York, and I look back and realize what great friends surrounded me in Atlanta. While I'm glad I've made the BIG MOVE to the city that never sleeps, I do miss the creative, fun-loving friends I knew in the ATL.

Luckily, I've been able to keep in touch with two of them through their blogs. They've provided me with a window to the city where I lived, and have written so many kind words, keeping in touch. So please, if you get a chance, check out The Ward-O-Matic, and while you're there, visit Hula Seventy as well. Ward's wife, Andrea, has created her own amazing blog. Together, they both celebrate the richness of life, art, and having kids. You'll even find a gallery that features colorful drawings by their very talented daughter, Ava.

2 comments:

Ward Jenkins said...

Justin, this was a nice surprise. Thank you so much for the kind words on the mural I painted for you. I had fun trying to find out what to paint for your loft, however, painting the thing left much to be desired. Remember you couldn't stay in the loft that weekend because of all the aerosol? Crazy. But it was very cool to see it with all the furniture back in place and especially cool to see it when you had your party. Made for a great conversational piece, didn't it?

Well, it had a good run, and we got some pics of it, so I'm cool with that.

Thanks, Justin, for letting me enliven your living space for a couple of years!

JustMe said...

I still remember the smell of the loft after you finished this masterpiece. It was toxic. I couldn't live or sleep there for a couple days...but it was STILL worth it to have an original CANON piece in the living room!