Monday, January 16, 2006

Have some gay


Image courtesy of www.queermusicheritage.com

Okay, first of all, let me say this: I've always tried to be the kind of guy who doesn't let his "lifestyle" or "orientation" define everything about him or his work. (Wait, don't roll your eyes yet...) I've tried to make my proclivity for men a non-issue ever since I admitted it to myself at the age of sixteen (SWEET sixteen, haha). I'm open and upfront about it, yet never felt the need to start wearing rainbow-colored outfits or anything. I've enjoyed dating guys and holding their hands in public, etc, but never felt the need to chain myself and my boyfriends to a fence on Capital Hill in protest (although if I had been born a decade or two ago, that might be different, as there was more demand for that kind of thing). Over the years, I've witnessed other guys "come out", and everything about them changes, and suddenly there's the danger of everything about them revolving around gay, gay, gay... so I promised to myself a while back, I wouldn't let my whole being become absorbed with one aspect of my character. Sure, I love to camp it up from time to time, I've gone to plenty of Pride festivals, I love enjoying a cocktail at the friendly neighborhood gay bar, and get a kick out of anything that seems a little "light in the loafers" but I enjoy a lot of other things too, and hopefully, they all help to round me out as a whole, unique, complex person. For instance, I'm a shitty cook. The gay, Martha Stewart foodies out there would be so embarrased of me. And some days, my clothes (while nicely matched---usually) just ain't perfectly wrinkle-free. Plus, I hate Britney Spears and Mariah Carey, yet...love...Peaches? So after saying that, here's something for you to enjoy. It's possibly the gayest thing I'll ever post! Its "gay-density" is off the charts. If it had a nutrition label, it would read: sugar...20 grams, high fructose corn syrup...30 grams, gay...1,000,000,000 grams. It may be bad for you overall, but it's worth it! Listen to the songs about those crazy gays, or at least every possible, imaginable stereotype about them from the 60's! I love this like how a black person might love those adorable, antique, pick-a-ninny salt and pepper shaker figurines:

Camp Records

By the way, don't ya just love the image posted above? I think it's a great example of how form should follow function. If some of the songs on the album could take the shape of fonts and linework, you'd end up with this cover art. Good design, I say. See the burly arm hair? See the fuchsia hanky? Witness the genius of contrasting details at work...

Oh, I almost forgot, I dedicate this post to my non-gay (but possible honorary member), and friend, Ward, of Ward-O-Matic fame. He passed this Camp Records link on to me. He uncovers the best stuff! See, I can't even find the good gay links without my straight friends!

7 comments:

jungle jane said...

personally i like both apples and oranges. does that make me bohemian or is it just that i am a slut?

Ward Jenkins said...

Once I saw that album cover with the hanky and ornate lettering, I knew I just HAD to show you this link. And I listened to some of those songs.... quite different fare compared to now, I guess.

Glad you liked it, Justin!

andrea said...

I swear, ward always finds the coolest links. in fact, I consider it a personal victory if I discover a fab link that he is unaware of...!

(love your words here, by the way. funny and honest makes for fantastic reading)

xxoo

JustMe said...

jj - We should all be allowed to enjoy whatever fruit we choose. And no, I don't think you're a slut. Slut is such a harsh word...let's go with "friendly", "popular", or "dynamic" instead! ; >

Ward - You know me all too well, my friend!!!

Andrea - You are too kind. It's great to have good feedback from someone so descriptive and poetic in her own writing.

jungle jane said...

nice one justin. maybe "engaging" would be appropriate...

Anonymous said...

Digging through the closet (no pun intended) today I came across a drawing you did for me in high school at OHS. I thought I'd look you up and see if you had become rich and famous as predicted. Everything on your website is great. Glad you're doing well.

JustMe said...

Hey anonymous, thanks for reaching out to say hello. Thanks for the compliment on my blog, too. Write back again...I'd love to know who you are from OHS.