Thursday, August 09, 2007

Happy Anniversary, baby

Okay, so it's only been one year, but that's a good start. I want to do a tribute to my sweetie, my boyfriend, on our special day. He came into my life almost exactly a year ago, and everything has been wonderful since. Having originally hailed from Brazil, He exudes a warmth that I feel lucky to be the recipient of. He has taught me so much about life, living in a new city (the Big Apple, no less!), art, fashion, and the culture of Brazil. On top of being such a kind person with a good heart, he is undoubtedly talented and inspiring. Oh, and if I may so so, I think he's such a hottie too! Ha ha...or as you'd say in Portuguese, a "lindo Gato". But that is just the tip of the iceberg, because with him, I feel like I've found someone to really connect with, spiritually, intellectually, artistically, and humorously as well. I hope we get to celebrate many more great times together.

Here's a sampling of my gatinho's work. I am so proud to have a boyfriend with such talent and style. He has even given me pointers on my wardrobe, which I eagerly welcome! Hanging out with him is like hanging out with a sweet, fun-loving Project Runway star (yet much more demure). He has an excellent eye for design and I admire that. It's been nice to share artistic visions with another artist different from myself. I can rock the cartoons, and he really rocks the fashion creations. His elegance as a designer...and as a human being is effortless. Definitely not of the "put-on" variety.


I first met him at the Phoenix Bar in the East Village. As far as bars go, you can't really get less laid back and attitude free than that. That's what I love about the place. I might be wrong, but it has always seemed like the kind of place where real, pretension-free guys stop to grab a beer and catch up with friends. It's casual, a little bohemian, a little rough around the edges.

Anyway, I happened to be there with a friend one night when I caught a glimpse of him across the bar. We didn't talk that night, but the following week, we saw each other again. He approached me in the cutest way, and I got the sense that this guy was really sweet and really real. What can I say? After that and a date, we were glued at the hips. The cool thing is how natural it all felt and continues to feel. I normally don't like to gush online about my personal life, but darn it, this makes me wanna put up a banner. I promise I won't get all mushy on ya folks (is it too late for that?). I just thought I'd spend a few moments sharing what brings me a smile each day. And if you're reading this, I love ya babe. I can't wait to toast over dinner tonight!

6 comments:

Ward Jenkins said...

Yup, too late for the mushy stuff! Congrats, Justin, on your anniversary! Edson seems to be the perfect match for you. Andrea and I are very very happy for you two!

Hey, great stuff, Edson! Now I wanna see you on the next season of Project Runway, okay?

Anderson Keller Mansur said...

Justin...you are SUCH a gatinho!!!Thank you so much for doing this. Prepare yourself for tons of hugs, kisses and pinches.
Love you too lindo.
Edson

Enzo Avolio said...

Great colour and motion in your work.
Full of life!

David DeGrand said...

Hey Justin, this was a really sweet tribute to somebody that obviously means a lot to you, thanks for sharing it with the rest of us! My wife and I want to go to New York RIGHT NOW and hang out with you guys, you two seem like such incredibly cool people (and he's quite the awesome artist like yourself). Don't worry about being too mushy, it's ok every now and then. Now back to the awesome artwork!!

HvH said...

Now this is soooo sweet :) Wish you guys all the best.
Great art in here too. Loved the backgrounds for the animated show especially :)

Hugz!
HvH

JustMe said...

Hey, thanks ya'll (and thanks for being so sweet, Edson!) I really appreciate the good wishes. Thanks for withstanding the mushiness too. I just can't help it. We'll work on the Project Runway thing, Ward, and David: if you ever did visit, feel free to call us up!